Things to do before the day
- Get training for the event. Make sure you are properly fit and know you can stay the course.
- Make sure your bike has been fully serviced and is in good working order and fully roadworthy.
- Charge up your mobile phone.
Things to bring on the day
- Your bike
- Your helmet (mandatory). No helmet, no ride.
- Full drinks bottle(s)
- Emergency rations
- Suitable clothing for the predicted (and unpredicted) weather conditions…..it is the Yorkshire Dales!
- A signed parental consent form for participants aged over 16 but under 18
- Some ID (in case of an incident) and your “in case of emergency” procedures
- Your mobile phone
- Your Garmin (or equivalent), if you have one
- Spare inner tubes
- Two tyre levers
- A pump
- Your sponsorship money
- A sense of humour
- A dose of commonsense
- A thirst for fresh air and exercise (and Black Sheep beer!)
- Some money for cake (and a taxi if you get lost!)
- A camera, if you want to
What to expect
There’s plenty of parking a stone’s throw from the start point (the Black Sheep Brewery at Masham) along with toilet facilities. The car park will be open from 8.00 a.m. Arrive well in advance of your departure time – 8.30 a.m departure for the long ride, 10.30 a.m departure for the shorter ride.
On arrival, please register – registration opens at 8.15 a.m. for the long ride and at 10.15 a.m. for the shorter ride. At registration, you will receive your pack for the day – number, emergency contact information, route details etc. You will be asked to sign a disclaimer.
Before you depart, there will be a safety briefing which it is mandatory for you to attend.
Then……you’re off. If you are on your own, it is recommended that you buddy up with other riders on the day, rather than riding solo.
Things to do on the ride
Whilst you are on the ride, be safe. Remember:
- Wear your helmet at all times
- Obey the highway code, always and to the letter
- Single out on narrow roads
- Be courteous towards other road users, even if they are less than courteous to you
- Make sure you check-in at each checkpoint
- If you have an accident, phone the emergency services straight away if appropriate. Otherwise, phone the emergency number you will be given on the day.
- If you pull up or withdraw, remember to let us know.
And above all……
- Enjoy the beautiful scenery
- Remember it’s a challenge, not a race
- Enjoy the experience
Get back to Masham safely! We’ll look forward to welcoming you back between 2.00 p.m. and 5.00 p.m.